For decades, Brits have complained about American contamination of British English. More recently, the reverse has been taking place: British expressions are elbowing their way into American speech. So far, Americans don’t seem to mind.
Listen above for a conversation with two people who closely follow these lexical exchanges: Lynne Murphy at the University of Sussex and author of the Separated by a Common Language blog; and Ben Yagoda at the University of Delaware and author of the Not One-Off Britishisms blog.
- Twanging with Lynne Murphy aka Lynneguist
- Does Banning Bilingual Education Change Anything? Plus US vs UK Toilet Talk With Lynne Murphy
- The World in Words Podcast on iTunes
- The World in Words Podcast via RSS
- The World in Words on Facebook